Monday, November 26, 2007

How am I going to Sleep without the T.V.?


Are you afraid of the dark and the only way you can get a good night sleep is by keeping the tv on at night then you're not alone. I planned to start my media deprivation assignment on Saturday from 12:00 am to 12:00 am but I had a huge problem, I was trying to figure out how to get to sleep without my television. I had been sleeping with the tv on every night for the past 7-8 years. I stopped this past January but all of a sudden I felt like I needed to sleep with the tv on. I forgot so when I woke up at 1 am on Saturday I realized that I had a huge problem. I decided to let the tv stay on and just start my project once I woke up for the second time. I put my remote next to my head so that I could just turn the tv off as soon as a woke up, which is what I did. I even put a post it up like one of the students in the article.

It was not that hard the rest of the day not to watch tv, well except for the fact that my mom wanted me to. I did not know until Thursday that my mom wanted us to stay the weekend with my grandfather. My grandmothers house is very quite and all my mom wanted to do was watch tv and talk about people and I had to keep telling her no. While we were in the car Saturday on our way to the mall my mom wanted to listen to this cd but she couldn't because I was in the car. Then I could not even go inside the store with my sister because they play music videos in the American Eagle.

When we got to my grandfathers house my mom and I played games and talked. Then my cousin came over with her son and he wanted to watch tv which meant that I had to leave the room and read a book. They did not watch tv for long and they called me down to play scrabble, which I beat mommy in by 7 points. It was not really that hard for me to be without media because I have done it many times before just spending days reading books. The only reason why it was a little difficult was because I wanted to sleep with the tv on and because my mom wanted to watch tv with me at grannys house. I survived my 24 hours without any source of media!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Like you, I spent time with my family on the the day that I chose to be media deprived. And it turned out to be less difficult than I thought it would be. However, I think the media which I missed most was the computer, not the television.