Monday, November 5, 2007

T.V. or Print

While reading “Two Cultures—Television Versus Print” it took me awhile to determine which side I was on. There is a difference between seeing something visually like on TV than when reading text. Sometimes seeing is believing. I like the part about the children of Israel creating the pagan image of God. In order for the children of Israel (because of their lack of faith) to believe that God existed in the circumstances that they were in; they had to see God in order to believe that their promise was on its way.



The only time I disagreed with Paglia was when she said that “In the beginning was nature.” From a Christian standpoint according to the Bible in the beginning was the word. God’s words are what brought about nature from my point of view. What I liked about the article was when words were shown of the foods eaten. For me, there was a chain reaction. I saw the word on the paper, then saw it in my head, and afterwards started to salivate because I could taste the image in my mouth. If I had not known what the foods looked like visually there would probably not have been a response to the words. I agreed for the most part with what Paglia had to say because of that fact. However, I do believe that they agreed on many topics and Postman had a lot to say.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This cleared up the religion aspect of the argument a lot for me, seeing as how I had no clue what they were talking about while I was reading in the book.

josh Plaza said...

i dont understand how religion became a part of the argument, it believe that Paglia was trying to skew the issue